Friday, September 7, 2007

Hoyer patient lift

Thanks to Hoyer lift one skilled person can lift me from the wheelchair and transfer me to the bed and vice versa. 'Hoyer' is actually a brand name; I don't know what it is called (perhaps just patient lift) but they are plenty kinds of lift for patients and disabled persons in Internet shopping malls such as "Planet Mobility" (http://www.planetmobility.com/store/paitentlifts/index.html). I have two Hoyer lifts, one at home and the other at office. The one at home is made of steel and I paid a little over $2000 in U.S. The one at office is a much lighter portable one also from Hoyer company. It is called "Advanced Patient Lift" (http://www.planetmobility.com/store/paitentlifts/sunrise&quickie/1-advance/index.html). I really recommend this one because it can be folded, is cheaper and takes less space. In Planet Mobility Internet shopping mall, it is listed as less than $1000 including the sling which wraps you. I found that most Hoyer lifts work (can be battery charged) in both 110 and 220 voltages.

In Korea I found some patient lifts that look exactly like genuine Hoyer lifts selling at half price or less. It turns out that these ones are made in Taiwan. I used one at Seoul National University Bundang Hospital but could not recognize the difference. As far as I can see, they are as good as the origin ones.

In hospitals and at various places, I see people lifting and transporting the patients with hands in Korea. I don't think this is a good practice because the caregivers can hurt their backs. As for the long-term solution, we Koreans should get accustomed to using machines instead of muscles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention. Stair Lifts USA