Thursday, September 6, 2007

Job and challenge

Whether for mental or economic reason, it is important for handicapped person to have a job where one can devote one’s energy. Finding someone who will hire a handicapped person can be extremely difficult. Luckily for me, I held assistant professorship at national university before my injury and was able to hold on to it. I am probably an exceptional case. Many people are not as fortunate as myself.

Keeping an academic position is not an easy matter as it used to be. Things have taken a turn in the last several years in Korea and it has become very tough to hold on to academic post in top universities. Promotions to associate and full professors are no longer automatic and we have to strive for tenureship. The requirements are strenuous even to normal people. Still I don’t want to cry over it, because this just one of many challenges that I simply have to accept and overcome in order to be an accepted member of this society. Although I cannot move my hands, there are these assistive devices that help me to write emails and papers and review other people’s manuscripts (in short, to do my job). This web page is about such technical know-hows that have become important part of my life and means of survival.

No comments: