Thursday, September 6, 2007

Power wheelchair and cushion

The first thing I think high-level spinal cord injury patient like myself (C4 complete) should have is power (electric) wheelchair with options to recline. I heard that the two biggest companies in U.S. are Sunrise Medical and Invacare. I have Invacare Storm TDX 3 with head control system which I purchased when I was at Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center in LA. In Rancho Los Amigos, as soon as I was admitted they put me on the power wheelchair. I paid about $17 K for my TDX 3. I know it is not cheap but I recommend such power wheelchair to quadriplegic patients because it gives freedom and mental comfort that comes with being able to move around yourself. The reclining option is very important because it helps to prevent pressure sores, the most annoying ailment to spinal cord injury patients. For every 30 or 60 minutes, I take 1 minute to recline on my wheelchair. So far this has been the most important defense against skin pressure sores.

In Korea, a company called "Tong-Il Medical (http://www.tongilmall.co.kr/main/main.htm; Tel: 02-766-3006)" is the agent of Invacare. Normally it takes several weeks to custom build the wheelchair to fit your body. The problem with power wheelchairs is that they are heavy and tall to fit in minivans for handicapped persons. My TDX 3 is almost 140 kilograms in itself. I can barely go through the doors of minivans. So in a sense, the power wheelchair limits the range of mobility. I keep a manual wheelchair as a backup and alternative to my power wheelchair. Sometimes it is easier to move around go to places on manual wheelchair pushed by family and friends. In any case, because you can control the timing of recline, the power wheelchair is probably the best prevention against skin pressure sores.

The chair cushion is also very important. I use Jay 2 cushion which is filled with silicon gel. In Korea I know many people use Roho air cushion which can be as effective as gel cushion. Both range around $400-500, I believe.

No comments: